Take a look at senior centers or senior associations, and what do you find?
- Trips to Foxwood, theater, Red Sox
- Tax advice
- Socials for Valentines, St. Pats, you-name-it
- Days-gone-past music, history, dance
And there’s more. But you get the idea.
What’s missing? Critical decisions and planning for the future! How about
- Medicare today, next year, in five years
- Social security today, next year, in five years
- Budget and medical implications of state-controlled Medicaid
- Planning for a time to stop medication and/or surgery
- Long-term living arrangements and transportation
- If seniors work later in their careers how does that impact young workers and the economy as a whole?
It’s not good enough to watch TV and think you have all needed information to decide on a candidate for mayor, congress or president.
It’s not sufficient to talk in hushed tone about some of the items (and more) that I have listed.
These are critical issues that need up-front and frequent discussion. They involve aging, economics, politics, social policy and much more. Getting together for cards, yoga and gambling is not enough!
Ask your association or senior center to get on the reality bandwagon and really help with your future! Get engaged!